Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day One: First Class Confession

Day One: First Class Confession
I have a confession. I’m really scared to go to the “lavatory” on planes. Contrary to my typical 30 minute bladder, I will turn blue before I make the unbalanced trip to the bathroom. Something about the fact that when I flush, it sounds as though I will be sucked into outer space is really what flips me out. But here is the real confession: I do not flush after using the lavatory. That’s right. I just do my business (number 1, never number 2) and escape.

I tell you this because when riding the plane coach (the cheap seats), I feel there is no code of conduct for using the bathroom…the flight attendants did not cover that during their emergency procedures. But what about the expensive seats in first class? Would I have the same sense of flushing freedom if the seat I am occupying cost $6,000?

Surprise!! Nathan and I, along with our two very good friends who are traveling China with us, were moved to first class!! Wow!! While exchanging currency in the airport at Detroit we struck a conversation with a red jacketed flight official. He had just returned from China, so we had lots of questions. Long story short, he asked for our contact information…Nathan gave the man his cell phone number and before we knew it we got a phone call saying “enjoy the upper-deck”. We were ecstatic!! Nathan and Nathan, Elizabeth and I ran to our seat on the top of our 747 plane and began acting like children at Disney World. “Woah, look at how far the seats recline! Woah, we get to pick our own movies! Woah, we have slippers and socks! Woah, we get 4 meals!” Needless to say, we were incredibly grateful and could not believe we got moved to first class. Just for the heck of it, Elizabeth and I checked to see how much first class was when we were first booking our tickets…$6,000!! For that price, the flight better come with a car for a souvenir.

Our flight went very smoothly. Our flight attendant, who we nicknamed “Dolly” because she could pass as Dolly Parton’s twin (not just the obvious ‘feature’ but the hair, the accent, mannerisms) was extremely sweet to us. We were served hot towels every few hours, food every few hours, and were really treated as, well, rich people ;)

Prior to our departure from Detroit, we had a flight out of St. Louis. Our dear friends, Deidra, Donna, and Christina from church accompanied us to St. Louis in the church van to see us off. After we shared some prayers, hugs, and tears, our journey began. I’m so excited to see where it will take us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment